2 November 2012

The Avengers

In these days of Marvel's The Avengers appropriating the name more and more, it's always a good idea to remind of the other Avengers, the slightly more dashing, and very much more british Avengers.

In these days of Bond hype I recently found myself rewatching one of my favorites in the 007 catalogue, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, starring none other than the wonderfully enigmatic Diana Rigg, aka Mrs Emma Peel of the Avengers.

So I feel it's well overdue to return to some golden age (that is the Peel Years, to me at least) of The Avengers. But before I start digging out the crate of temporarily stored away DVD sets in the wardrobe a quick trawl on Youtube turned up the first episode of Diana Rigg's tenure in the series, containing a fantastic scene of Mr Steed and Mrs Peel having tea on a train. I must say I enjoy the Peel character a lot more than the Contessa in OHMSS. (By the way, John Steed, Patrick McNee, would also later turn up in a bond movie, as Bond collaborator Sir Godfrey Tibbett in A View To A Kill.)

No comments: